What is metal piercing?
Piercing is a mechanical process where a cavity or hole is created in a metal shape by a pressing process versus traditional drilling techniques.
What are the challenges with piercing?
- Process design
- Retaining features of the shape after piercing
Why use MFI for piercing?
- Piercing equipment is on site in Russellville, Indiana
- Process design, prototyping, and engineering under one roof
What are the primary benefits of piercing?
- Increased production speed over drilling
- Metal shavings eliminated
- Tight tolerances
- Variety of shapes
- Grain structure retention when cavities formed
In addition to piercing, MFI’s secondary manufacturing equipment includes chuckers, thread rolls, Brown & Sharpes, along with drilling and tapping equipment. Completed operations include milling, slotting, drilling, tapping, counter boring, chamfering, threading, knurling, brazing, grooving, trimming, and nickel plating.