What is thread rolling?
Thread rolling is a mechanical process where threads are cold formed when the part is squeezed between two thread dies on a thread rolling machine. Thread rolling provides for a stronger thread and no loss of material.
What are the primary benefits of thread rolling compared to conventional thread cutting?
- Raw material savings
- 1/4-20 thread pattern produced approximately a 25% savings
- 3/4-16 thread pattern at approximately 16%
- Increased thread strength over machined threads
- Tensile strength increase 10%
- Root hardness increase up to 30%
Reduced manufacturing times up to 70%
Superior surface smoothness over other techniques
Grain Structure retained